One thing I read last night resonated with me so much as a Christ follower and as an artist. He says that Resistance is a very real and invisible force in the world… that it’s there preventing growth and goodness in individual lives and the world as a whole. And if this is the opposite of good, he says that Resistance is actually evil working it’s way in the world… preventing the growth of goodness.
This is a page in his book and I just wanted to write it out for you…..
RESISTANCE’S GREATEST HITS
“The following is a list, in no particular order, of those activities that most commonly elicit Resistance:
1. The pursuit of any calling in writing, painting, music, film, dance or any creative art, however marginal or unconventional.
2. The launching of any entrepreneurial venture or enterprise, for profit or otherwise.
3. Any diet of health regimen.
4. Any program of spiritual advancement.
5. Any activity whose aim is tighter abdominals.
6. Any course or program designed to overcome an unwholesome habit or addiction.
7. Education of every kind.
8. Any act of political, moral, or ethical courage, including the decision to change for the better some unworthy pattern of thought or conduct in ourselves.
9. The undertaking of any enterprise or endeavor whose aim is to help others.
10. Any act that entails commitment of the heart. The decision to get married, to have a child, to weather a rocky patch in a relationship.
11. The taking of any principled stand in the face of adversity.
In other words, any act that rejects immediate gratification in favor of long term growth, health, or integrity. Or, expressed another way, any act that derives from our higher nature instead of our lower. Any of These will elicit Resistance.”
This is giving me much to ponder today. In fact I awoke early and did all the things I wanted to do (quiet time with the Almighty, exercise routine) not cause I felt like it, but because I wanted to and I knew that Resistance would come and try to convince me not to. Understanding that that was going to come helped me over come it.
When I think about the future endeavors I want to do that scare me or don’t think I’m able enough to do, I’m seeing that those are just the normal patterns of Resistance trying to prevent growth, beauty, and goodness in my life and hopefully the world.
I hope this is helpful to you as much as it’s been to me today.